My Photo
Name:
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona, United States

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Review: Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto

A Rocky Start to the Evening

Imagine yourself in the Arizona desert with summer peeking its fiery head around the corner. Imagine an eighty-degree evening with the stars shining brightly across the sky as a gentle breeze stirs up the scents of lingering orange blossoms and desert bloom. Imagine yourself sunken into a rustic wooden Adirondack with a glass of scotch at your side and a cigar in hand as the Kenny Warner Trio melts the day away with sultry jazz. Now ask yourself what cigar you’d like to be smoking. For me, I couldn’t have chosen a better smoke to enjoy the evening than a Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto.
Lately, there’s been much hype surrounding the Rocky Patel line. I can’t pick up a copy of Cigar Aficionado or the Robb Report without seeing Rocky Patel rated in the 90’s, nor browse through a smoke shop filled with rating cards plastered in front their boxes. Normally I’d shy away from such saturation in the market (they’re even prominent in the cigar section of ubid), however I gave into temptation today from a suggestion from a local shop, and I’d have to say I rather enjoyed the Rocky Patel experience.
The Sun Grown cigar is a small line in the Rocky Patel family consisting of four sizes, Petite Corona, Robusto, Toro and the Torpedo. The “Sun Grown” refers to a 5 year old Ecuadorian sun grown Sumatra wrapper. I’d have to draw a correlation to the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959, for both have the same chewy robust flavor, yet turns somewhat mild and sweet as the smoke progresses. Upon lighting this stick, I was at first a bit disappointed, for it took a few attempts to get an even light, (I use wooden matches as opposed to lighters), but once it got going I was able to settle back and enjoy. The burn was even throughout and the construction is superior, for it’s tightly packed and wrapped rather well. Upon choosing this cigar, I could have grabbed any stick from the box blind, for they all seemed to be top quality in terms of uniformity. I’d say the only visual drawback is the double band which inches it’s way towards coving half the cigar. Should Rocky Patel “take great pride in offering you some of the finest cigars in the world”, why would he want to take away from the beautiful construction by covering them with bands?
All rants aside, the Rocky Patel Sun Grown is rather enjoyable and shouldn’t be missed. Upon your next venture to your local shop, pick one up; you shouldn’t have any problems finding them, just look for the rating cards.



Go get 'em Rock! Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

Blogger Fumo Santo said...

I'll have to give that one a try. Thanks for the heads-up!

Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home