My Photo
Name:
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona, United States

Friday, December 02, 2005

War Fuels Cigar Sales


I’ve read a few articles as of late claiming the war in Iraq and Afghanistan has given the cigar industry the boost we’ve been seeing this year. According to Cigar Insider, domestic sales jumped 9.5% in the past year, and some say a key reason for the increase is the guilty pleasure of smoking cigars by our troops.

According to J.J. Jurovich, owner of Havana House of Cigars in Baton Rouge, “about the only thing the boys can do over there that's not illegal is smoke cigars. I have a good friend who serves in Lima Company, he lost five men in Falujah--literally the only thing they look forward to at the end of a patrol is sitting back with that cigar.”

J.J. also states that he’s shipped thousands of dollars in boxes of cigars in the past year or two.

Is this really the spike we’ve been seeing in the cigar industry? Voice your thoughts by adding a comment.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben Maphis said...

Good for them, I know I've sent a few over. Thanks for the post!

Friday, December 02, 2005 11:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sent over 200 cigars that some of the local smokers and I gathered up.

Saturday, December 03, 2005 11:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is completely true!

There are no guilty pleasures here on the FOB (forward operating base).

The food is okay, but not great (way to many mexican nights *shudder*). There are no alchoholic beverages (loads of NA beer though). And no women (doing it with an Army girl is like doing it with the whole Brigade).

I've picked up cigar smoking during my ongoing tour in Iraq. People were giving some away and I said sure. Within a few months I looked up everything there was about cigars and now I am a full blown enthusiast.

With the popularity of dipping (disgusting), and smoking (I don't like to inhale) in the armed services make cigars a natural product for Soldiers and Marines.

Personally I'm a big runner so not having to inhale was a part of the attraction of cigars.

Nice blog guys. Take care.

Spartan 5 out.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home